Sunday, November 4, 2007

Instant Messaging for Education

I am not sure I have gained substantially from the instant message exercise, at least from an educational perspective. I have become a little more proficient in the use of the newer software, but the few discussions I have had have not necessarily been over and above the topics discussed on the class site. In terms of instant messaging itself, I have used it for years, mostly as a cheap way to communicate with distant family.

Current results may be largely due to my lack of time this quarter however, as I have used instant messaging to setup group projects in other courses with excellent results. It does what it is suppose to do, bring multiple people together to communicate in real-time.

3 comments:

tgreen said...

Hi Dan,

I agree with you. Most IM conversations I have are not directed toward educational activities or work. However, I dont think this is a bad thing. We need to keep in our social aspects of our lives--especially in online courses.

I love your pictures!

Tim

Meredith said...

What a beautiful baby and a beautiful big sister! You HAVE had a lot going on! Congratulations!
Meredith

Meredith said...

Also...
I must admit that many of my conversations are "off topic" as well, but there have been several occasions where a classmate pulled me through thanks to IM! Shane helped me with kinks in my multimedia project and Heather helped me "interpret" my mentor!